If you, like me, are a stay-at-home mom, you are probably familiar with all the stereotypes that exist for our kind. From countless Internet memes, YouTube parodies and articles debating the appropriateness of yoga pants, there’s tons of fodder to give us all a good laugh.
While I certainly enjoy all of the SAHM jokes about wearing pajamas all day and craving Starbucks coffee, in many ways, I don’t quite feel like I fit the true definition of a stay-at-home mom. You know who does? My husband. Yup, my man pretty much matches every stereotype you can imagine.
1. You can’t speak with him before he has finished his first cup of coffee. I tend to be fairly lucid in the morning, and often have a lot to talk about when I wake up. My husband, on the other hand, isn’t ready to deal with major issues until he has sipped through his morning coffee. Sound familiar?
2. He enjoys a glass of wine after a long week. I lost my taste for wine during my first pregnancy and never got it back. I have had to turn to such other indulgences as a nice piece of chocolate or a night of Netflix. My husband likes those things as well, usually accompanied with a nice glass of Cabernet.
3. He likes wearing comfy pants. Okay, so this is something we both have in common. Ain’t no shame in the lounge game.
4. He enjoys online games. My husband is a master at Scramble with Friends. Seriously, I gave up trying to compete with him.
5. He loves playing with our son. My husband is fortunate to have a career that enables him to work from home. While it doesn’t mean he is at my beck-and-call for childcare assistance, my husband loves being able to take breaks from his demanding schedule to spend time with our son.
My husband and I have no plans to switch roles, but if we do, I think my husband would have no trouble making the transition. Hmm, I wonder what he’d look like in yoga pants?